Northside has been a part of the North Chattanooga neighborhood for over 114 years since its beginning on November 7, 1886. Its heritage is a dynamic element of mission and ministry to the Chattanooga area.
Northside Presbyterian Church originally met at the home of one of its first members at the corner of Jarnigan Avenue and Baker Streets. In 1888 its first church building was constructed in Hill City. In 1910, the land where the current building is located was purchased for $3,500, and in 1916, the present Greek Revival building was constructed at a cost of $30,000. A church school annex was added in 1926. In 1958, the education building was initiated at a cost of $170,000. The Sanctuary was remodeled in the 1960’s.
In 2001, Northside was blessed with significant change as it welcomed 99 members of Central Presbyterian Church who joined our congregation upon the decision to end Central’s ministry as a separate church in Chattanooga. Central was founded in 1891 and brings a very strong, historical world-focused mission to Northside. These two congregations span a continuous 118 years in Chattanooga. Their joining has created a new body, energized and strong in commitment and action to mission, ever mindful of our role as ministers of the Word to every person. We eagerly seek the growth and longevity of our Ministry to the World and the one great end of all People, to glorify God and enjoy His grace forever.